Women's Domestic Violence & Homeless Services


Our Domestic Violence Services

Jenny's Place is a specialist support service for women and children who are experiencing domestic and family violence. We provide accommodation, guidance and support to those in need.


If you are in immediate danger ring 000 and ask for the police and/or an ambulance. Give them your name and address and explain it is urgent. If there are any firearms or weapons involved inform them of this.


If it is not an emergency you can call the closest police station. Go online at www.police.nsw.gov.au and search for your local police station via a postcode or call the police assistance line on 131 444


If you want to report or get support for domestic and family violence, you can ask to speak to a specialist Domestic Violence Liaison Officer (DVLO) which many police stations now have. DVLOs undergo specialist training and have a comprehensive understanding as well as experience in working with people who have experienced domestic violence. They also have knowledge of the relevant and associated legal and specialist legislation involved.  


The police have the power and responsibility to intervene and protect you and your children from all types of domestic and family violence and/or stalking. It is important to report incidents of violence to the police, as well as your local doctor. The history of the abuse can be extremely valuable to you in both family and criminal law matters that may arise in the future. 


On our website, we have a number of pages with information related to domestic violence, as well as contact details for services that can help. 


Our Domestic Violence Resource Centre is the only resource of its kind in Newcastle, giving support, information and guidance to those who have experienced domestic violence.


Our Supported Transitional Accommodation Program places women in transitional housing for 3 to 12 months. Our staff will work with you to improve financial planning skills, build up a positive rental history and to find suitable long-term housing.


We also work in the community, with Outreach Support Services providing case management and helping women reach their goals.


There are times when women require Crisis Accommodation for their own safety (and for their children too). Jenny's Place not only provides accommodation with a welcoming atmosphere, but we also offer a number of support services to help.


Domestic and family violence come in many guises. The most obvious may be physical abuse, but there are a number of other forms too. Find out about the different types of domestic abuse here.


If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence, there are a number of services available in the Newcastle and Hunter region designed to help. Find out more about these domestic violence help lines here.


To find out more about our services click on the links above or call (02) 49 296 289.