Homelessness Support & Services
Jenny’s Place provides services to women and children experiencing homelessness or who are at risk of becoming homeless in the Newcastle region.
We offer emergency shelter and transitional accommodation for single women and families. We aim to intervene early to prevent homelessness, by supporting women to remain safely in their homes, or to secure stable housing.
Phone our Intake Line on 02 4929 6289 and select Option 1 – open between 9am and 4.30pm from Monday to Friday.
Our supportive staff will discuss your support options after an initial assessment to discuss your circumstances.
Crisis or Emergency Accommodation
Emergency shelter and short-term housing with the support to transition to longer-term housing.
Advocacy & Assistance
Support and assistance to access, set up and retain private rental, public and community housing options.
This includes help understanding and completing applications, assistance to access immediate needs (food, clothing, transport, medical treatment and safety), and tenancy support and advocacy on your behalf with landlords.
Outreach support services mean our team members can assist women and their children to our services out in the community.
Referral & Support
Support to access homeless and specialist programs and services, including free homeless persons’ legal services.
Assistance to access furniture and household items from community and charity organisations, where possible.
If you have seen someone in your area who could benefit from our services, please complete our form to care for a rough sleeper.
If you, or someone you know, are experiencing homelessness or financial difficulties, there are a number of services in the Newcastle area that can offer assistance.
Follow the links below:
- Emergency accommodation
- Specialist homeless services
- Free meals, low cost food and financial assistance
- Additional services
- Domestic violence help centres
Tenancy Support Program
This service aims to support women to sustain long-term housing solutions. We provide:
- A safe and supported environment for you to meet with specialist homeless service staff
- Information and advice on options and available resources
- Support and assistance to identify individual barriers to sustaining tenancies
- Assistance by talking to property managers on your behalf
- Assistance to develop a support plan to resolve tenancy problems such as rent arrears, budgeting, property damage, safety issues, yard maintenance, and hoarding etc.
- Support and assistance to identify, highlight and build on your existing strengths
- Opportunities to build knowledge and skills, and help to develop a support plan to keep your goals on track
- Identify potential pathways and refer to other specialist services e.g, Financial Counselling and Work Development Orders, Domestic Violence Support, Mental Health Services, Drug and Alcohol Support, Family Support Services, Education and Employment Services, Legal Services, Disability Support Providers, Cultural and Linguistic Services, Aboriginal Services.
Whats going on?
Jenny’s Place staff joined other Newcastle and Lake Macquarie-based women’s domestic violence service providers in Canberra on 24 May to deliver a heavy burden. After …